Presented by: Dr. Amanda B. Longo, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.
The link between periodontal health and overall health has never been closer. The category of periodontitis as a manifestation of systemic diseases accounts for more than one third of the classified cases of periodontitis. These systemic diseases have a major impact on the loss of periodontal tissue through its influence on systemic and localized inflammation. This lecture will consider the link between many of the most common systemic diseases affecting our local patient population, including diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and many others. Periodontitis as a manifestation of systemic diseases considers the multifactorial etiology of the disease and the level of complexity of both its risk and management.
- Review the relationship between periodontal disease and diabetes, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune diseases and other chronic disease
- Understand chronic disease progression and occurrence
- Differentiate between prevention and treatment of chronic disease
- All lectures in the series will be hosted in Room AH 141.
- There is free parking throughout the Niagara College, Welland Campus after 5pm.
- Please arrive in time for registration, to enjoy our light refreshments, and to take your seat.